POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : About sounds in space in movies : Re: About sounds in space in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About sounds in space in movies
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 25 Jun 2008 19:39:15
Message: <4862d723@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Tim Nikias wrote:
>> Bill Pragnell wrote:
>>> I liked the way Serenity handled this - all the space scenes were
>>> eerily silent, except for weapon firing / impacts, which sounded like
>>> they were being transmitted by the spacecraft hulls, not air (or some
>>> other gaseous medium). Not completely realistic, but quite a good
>>> effect.
>>>
>>> (I think the new Battlestar Galactica does this too, but not all the
>>> time, bizarrely).
>>
>> I've watched Battlestar Galactica and they really do stick to "no
>> sound in space", although, if you're inside a ship or, as Warp
>> mentioned, you're in for the ride along one of the pilots, you can
>> hear their ship's sounds, e.g. breaking, impacts etc.
>> Generally, I really like how most of what happens in their space
>> fights is filled with music, not big explosions, even though the
>> images are really awesome and have depth I've seldom seen even in big
>> movie productions.
>
> I've only seen season 1 (I think it's awesome, by the way!), but I seem
> to remember being able to hear the sound of cylon raiders firing through
> vacuum, albeit in a muffled, hull-conducted way. I may be mistaken. I
> shall have to go and watch it again (what a sacrifice!).

I started watching the series again today and I have to admit, yup, they
do have sound in open space. But it really is muffled, as you said, and
seems to adhere more to the rule Warp mentioned: it kinda sounds like a
subjective point of view, but overall, it's really less in-your-face
than some other movies. I like how the smaller spaceships move with lots
of tiny thrusters all around the ships, that's some of the noise you
hear by the way.

> What also helps the visuals is the hand-held style, something you never
> see in space battles or dogfights. Great stuff!

Yup, the angles and zooms really are great. Although some are a little
over the top, I generally like the style. Sometimes you follow the
perspective of a certain pilot and watch out of the cockpit. Especially
in grand battle scenes it really sells the point that 3D battles are NOT
fun.

Regards,
Tim