POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : About sounds in space in movies : Re: About sounds in space in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About sounds in space in movies
From: Warp
Date: 25 Jun 2008 16:16:44
Message: <4862a7ab@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> Not necessarily.  When watching a really good movie, I feel like "I am
> there."  It's a strange split; I experience the Point of View (gotta be
> careful writing POV in these forums!), yet without the concerns of
> actually being there such as danger from suffocation (or errant enemy
> fire!).  As long as I can imagine that I see and hear things from the
> point in space where the camera sits, I can forget about the camera and
> merrily enjoy the illusion.  This is, after all, what Suspension of
> Disbelief is all about.

  So if the camera is filming, from 10 meters away, two subjects talking,
you expect to be just barely able to hear some talking, but since the
movie soundtrack will nevertheless have them talking at a clearly audible
volume, that ruins the movie for you?

  Moreover, if they are on the street, and the camera is close to the
driveway, you'll expect hearing passing cars much louder than the talking?

  If they are inside an establishment and the camera is outside, filming
them through a window, you expect not to hear what they are saying?

  Why is this movie convention ok everywhere else, but not in space?

--
                                                          - Warp