POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time : Re: Yes, that time Server Time
8 Sep 2024 23:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yes, that time
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Jun 2008 13:01:56
Message: <48627a04$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:52:51 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> For the second, though, there's a blur between "fantastic science" and
>> "fantasy science".
>
> Sure. I'm of the opinion you can have science fiction without credible
> science, as long as the story is about the science. FTL? No problem.
> Stasis fields? No problem.

I personally tend towards that as well - pushing the boundaries of
science is what it's about; Jurassic Park was science fiction, even
though that technology doesn't exist today.  It's something that's
possible.

I think one of the hallmarks of good Science Fiction is that the author
does some research into the field he's writing about.

>> Agreed.  I would probably also put BSG in the "not science fiction"
>> category using that definition, because the story is more about the
>> characters and less about the technology.  The science is quite good
>> (one of the few shows where I've seen actual thought put into spaceship
>> physics), but the story isn't about the technology, it's about the
>> people and their journey.
>
> Right. Ask yourself if you could rewrite it as a giant ocean-liner
> crossing the Atlantic in 1490, and see if the same basic plots still
> work.

Yep.  And I think they would.

> Now, recast Niven's "Ringworld" without spaceships. Does it still work?

I actually haven't read Ringworld.  Need to do that one of these days.

> Or any of James Halperin's stuff, like The Truth Machine or Immortality?
> How do you write a book about the affects on society of a perfect lie
> detector if you don't incorporate the technology of a perfect lie
> detector?
>
> Even something like "The Witling", a novel about earthmen accidentally
> crashing a spaceship on a planet populated by people who can magically
> teleport themselves and others would count as "SF" in my view. The story
> just doesn't fly without the "magical technology" of the teleportation,
> even tho it is completely unexplained how it works or why.
>
> Of course, there's a fuzzy boundary.

Well, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic. ;-)

Jim