POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Projectors : Re: Projectors Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:24:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Projectors
From: scott
Date: 25 Jun 2008 05:08:56
Message: <48620b28@news.povray.org>
>> So where does all the light go in a DLP projector when you display a
>> black image?
>
> It gets reflected the other direction, into blackness inside the
> projector. The trick is, the tiny moving bits where it's focused aren't
> absorbing it, but rather the big heat-sink with the cooling system (for
> movie projectors) or fan (for little projectors).

I guess in movie projectors it's more of a problem, but in office projectors
I doubt enough heat is generated to affect the cooling design when there's a
huge inefficient light source pumping out heat a few cm away.

Anyway, I guess you can always mount the absorbing imager onto a heat sink
with some air flow if you really need to.