POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why I haven't been online much lately... : Re: Why I haven't been online much lately... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I haven't been online much lately...
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 24 Jun 2008 10:21:54
Message: <48610302@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> I found most of the missions fairly easy to complete first time, but
> there were 3 or 4 IIRC that were real pains and I had to play them
> repeatedly many times.

Yes, it rarely took us more than 1 attempt each for most of the
missions. I remember extended FPS missions like stealing the 'black
project' from the military base took several goes, especially if you
follow the instructions and try to be sneaky. It's usually much easier
to tool up and wade in guns blazing, unless it fails you if you get
noticed (as also happened).

 > It's even more frustrating when unrealistic
> things happen, like when I had boxed in some guy's car so he couldn't
> escape - I get out to fire a rocket at his car (while momentarily
> looking the other way) and when I turn around his car has magically
> shifted back onto the road and is driving off.

That's a pain. That never happened to me, but the number of times I hit
the wrong button in high-pressure situations and made him start walking
around trying to open car doors when he should have been legging it...

The worst thing happened in one of those fragile-vehicle-chase missions
- my mate was playing, got 400 yards from the end, then a DC-10 crashed
on top of him. Ludicrous. It's the only time I've ever seen an aircraft
accident caused by the game AI...

>> I've not played the new one though. I've heard it's 100% city-based,
>> no countryside - that's one of the things I liked best about San
>> Andreas, so we'll see...
>
> Oh yes, that was another thing that put me off, it said the map was
> actually smaller than SA.  I used to like being able to drive/fly all
> around outside the town.

Sticking to the roads, it would take at least 10-15 mins to cross the
map even if you were skilful. Add in getting lost, accidentally
destroying your vehicle / becoming wanted / ending up in firefights over
crap redneck vehicles... much better to go straight to the nearest
airport. And save position locally before attempting a distant mission!

> Have you played Test Drive Unlimited?  It has a huge map to drive
> around, not as many non-driving parts as SA but it will take you at
> least an hour to drive around the outside of the island, let alone all
> the roads inside!

Nope, don't know that one but I'll keep my eyes open. Does it
realistically erode the vehicles? That was one of the fun aspects of GTA
IMO - you had to drive with a modicum of care or you'd never get there.