POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 10 things to use a Min Heap for : Re: 10 things to use a Min Heap for Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 10 things to use a Min Heap for
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Jun 2008 09:45:38
Message: <4860fa82$1@news.povray.org>
>> [But then, "London" now covers about 25% of all the land space in the
>> UK, so...]
>
> Hmm, taking Doctor John's figures of 30x50km and assuming London to be
> rectangular, let's call it an even 1500 km2. An overestimation, but it's
> the right order of magnitude. That's about 1.2% of England alone
> according to Wikipedia, and barely 0.6% of the UK as a whole...
>
> That's interesting, I've never had cause to work it out before and it's
> actually bigger than I imagined.

Pretty big, eh?

I'm told in ancient times, "London" was a small town in the edges of the
Thames river. Since then it's grown, swallowing other towns around it,
until now it makes up a significant fraction of the whole country.

> I couldn't comment on the proportion of the IT sector that resides
> there, however. :-)

Like I said, I think 80% of *all* employment is in London. Certainly if
you ask Monster for jobs, almost all of them are from London. And it
doesn't seem to matter *what* kind of jobs you ask for!

[Then again, when I changed Monster to search by postcode rather than
geographic area, it started giving me jobs only from Canada, so maybe
Monster is just defective!]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/