POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray /and/ debian (ETCH) : Re: povray /and/ debian (ETCH) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray /and/ debian (ETCH)
From: Warp
Date: 24 Jun 2008 08:05:23
Message: <4860e303@news.povray.org>
Antti Arola <aea### [at] ioboxfi> wrote:
> when talking about "free" in relation to software, the FOSS crowd
> typically means "free as in speech" and not "free as in beer".

  I find that allusion completely flawed.

  "Free speech" means that you are not limited to what the *contents*
of your message are. In other words, you can express whatever you want
(for example negative opinions of the government) with impunity.

  "Free speech" does *not* mean "anyone is free to use the text in any
way they like". Publications always fall into copyright, and even if
they contain "free speech", the use of the text may still be limited.
For example it may be illegal to copy the text and publish it in another
publication.

  Obviously this is not what the FOSS means with "free", and thus the
allusion is just wrong.

--
                                                          - Warp