POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : About sounds in space in movies : Re: About sounds in space in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About sounds in space in movies
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 24 Jun 2008 05:09:11
Message: <4860b9b7$1@news.povray.org>

48601ac1@news.povray.org...
>  Movies which have sound in space are simply sticking to the movie
> convention that the soundtrack is that which is perceived by the subject
> being filmed, not that which is perceived by the camera (which doesn't
> really "exist" in that reality).

Interestingly enough, not only there's sound in space but the entire London
Symphonic Orchestra (John Williams conducting) is there too, floating around
and trying not to get in the way of the X-Wings. IIRC the first one who
complained about whoosh sounds in Star Wars was Harlan Ellison, who wrote a
big rant about this in 1976. I like Ellison as a writer, but that rant was
really dumb.

In the DVD commentary of LOTR there's an anecdote (from memory, actual
wording may be different) about an actor complaining about lighting being
too artificial: "It's supposed to be completely dark there, where is the
light coming from?" And the director answered: "From the same place as the
music"

G.