POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray /and/ debian (ETCH) : Re: povray /and/ debian (ETCH) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:28:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray /and/ debian (ETCH)
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 23 Jun 2008 20:23:04
Message: <48603e68$1@news.povray.org>
stu wrote:
> I've been using povray for many years, through lots of distributions...
> and now, having finally downloaded debian ETCH, I find there is
> no povray on the CDs.  It was on the old SuSE, and openSuSE, but
> not on debian-ETCH.
>
> Hmmm.  Even though Pov-Ray is totally free, debian considers it
> "non-free", and, as I said, it is nowhere on the full CD set I
> downloaded.
>
> S-oooo... what Im wondering really is if any other debian/etch
> povray users may know of an unofficial CD including the non-free
> programs for ETCH, with povray of course ?
>
> thanks to anyone who may know

Just download the standard Linux version directly from povray.org.
Un-tar it, then from a command-line terminal, cd to the directory just
created (povray-3.6 IIRC), and (as root) run ./install

This is all in the README file, of course.  And by installing it as root
it is installed for all users and this (temporary) install directory can
be deleted when you're done.

I like to play around with various Linux distros and POV-Ray is usually
the first thing I install, so I've done this numerous times -- including
in Debian.  One personal idiosyncrasy -- before deleting this install
directory, I like to move (or copy) the "scenes" directory to a local
directory (usually into ~/pov).  This keeps these standard examples
handy and in a directory where you have write permission.

      -=- Larry -=-