POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Model helicopters : Re: Model helicopters Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Model helicopters
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Jun 2008 06:04:24
Message: <485b80a8$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> I always thought that model helicopters were big, heavy, extremely hard
> to fly, expensive, noisy etc, but I just got one of these tiny things
> for around ?20:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picoo_Z
>
> Amazing what they can put it such small packages for such low cost these
> days.  It works really well too - hours of fun for a big kid like me :-)

Heh. I remember watching some guy fly a [somewhat lager] model
helicopter. He started being flash though. Started flying it upside
down. But alas, he was using a new controller, and wasn't used to it
yet. The model approached the tarmac, and he couldn't find the invert
switch. The model got too near the ground, so instinctively he pressed
the UP button.

...of course, flying inverted, up is really down, and the craft drove
itself hard into the tarmac. I guess you had to be there... it looked so
deliberately suicidal it was funny. As if the device had lost the will
to live and so it destroyed itself.

It made a *very* impressive mess!

(We're talking about a petrol-powered device here.)

Apparently there wasn't much actual *damage*, it just generated a lot of
shrapnel. Basically destroyed all the bodywork and the rotor and not
much else. But *boy* did it look impressive! ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/