POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Passing file handles to macros - how? : Re: Passing file handles to macros - how? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passing file handles to macros - how?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 22 Apr 2003 06:16:19
Message: <485aavsp446rpk91ppq3t72jgdo7h3tjb1@4ax.com>
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:53:36 +0200, ABX <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote:

>I have no idea but I imagine you can workaround it with passing it as string and
>Parse_String() macro.

In this case the file handle should be global, which doesn't help
much.

I am rendering an animation. I read the data from a file, calculate an
iteration and write it back to the file. If the file is globally open
(the file handle is globally defined), it can only be open for reading
*or* writing/appending, which doesn't solve my case. The whole thing
is macro-based so the scene is just along the lines of

#include ...
#declare Object=Macro(Parameters)
camera... lights...

As you see, there's no way with this setup (and I *do* want it to be
like that because it's an include I'd like to release) that I can have
the file handle be global.

I consider this a genuine bug, not exactly along the lines of "it's
not working properly" but more like "there's an artificial limitation
which looks like it shouldn't be there".

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg