POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do you recognise any of these phrases? : Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases?
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 19 Jun 2008 11:42:24
Message: <485a7e60@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Gail Shaw wrote:
> > Found the script reference I mentioned. Seems to imply that the above
> > interpretation is correct.
> >
> > http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run
> >
> >   a.. n the original draft of A New Hope in 1976, the description for
> > "Kessel Run" is put as follows:
> > HAN: It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!
> > Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious
> > misinformation.
>
> I read somewhere (I forget where... probably online) that the Kessel Run
> was a series of deliveries / pickups on a moving convoy, and that the
> 'parsecs' in the quote refer to how far the convoy had travelled by the
> time the whole run was finished.

It's a smuggling run. It cuts very near to a cluster of black holes (1). The
faster your ship, the closer you can go to the black holes without getting
trapped.
It's a smuggler's boast to say how short he can make the Kessel run. See
above link.

> However, I'm with Warp - Lucas didn't know what a parsec was when he
> wrote the screenplay. :-)

Very likely

(1) In a later book, the Maw cluster is describes as being artifical, but no
one knows how it formed or what race helped it along.