POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do you recognise any of these phrases? : Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases?
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Jun 2008 04:17:50
Message: <485a162e@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "Invisible" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote
>
>> Some programs are, in fact, designed to solve a specific problem.
>>
>> Other programs are instead designed to make money.
>
> Well, that also is a specific problem.

I was waiting for somebody to point that out.

[You see what I did there?]

Reminds me of the expensive IBM line printer. Apparently, for an
exorbitant fee, IBM could sent a field engineer to perform an "upgrade"
to your printer that makes it print at double speed. This upgrade
consists of removing one drive wheel and installing another with twice
the diameter.

It's an engineering solution - once you realise that the goal is "suck
every last penny out of the customer".

[Obviously, all this was back in the Dark Ages of giant mainframe
computers that filled entire warehouses...]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/