POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 10 things to use a Min Heap for : Re: 10 things to use a Min Heap for Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 10 things to use a Min Heap for
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Jun 2008 19:51:15
Message: <48599f73$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> As for examples of my work... it strikes me that I've almost never
> produced a "finished" program in my life.

I don't know anyone who ever thought their program was finished. Even
games that go out the door aren't "finished" as far as the people
working on them are concerned.

> And then there's the minor detail that although I know a lot of stuff
> about stuff... how many people actually need to know what a Huffman tree
> is? None. Nobody needs to know this.

Actually, the cool places do. Read some of the google whitepapers and
actually look at the algorithms they use. It's the first place in 25
years I've seen using Bloom filters.

> You can't do that without a postal address. (And stamps. Do you have any
> idea how hard it is to purchase stamps?!)

Now you're just making up excuses. :-) I'll admit stamp purchasing is
unobvious in Europe to someone from America who would expect to be able
to buy stamps at, say, the post office, but it can't be *that* difficult.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: