POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 10 things to use a Min Heap for : Re: 10 things to use a Min Heap for Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 10 things to use a Min Heap for
From: scott
Date: 18 Jun 2008 09:35:09
Message: <48590f0d$1@news.povray.org>
> Actually, with respect to finding a better job, the problem has less to do
> with
> *knowing* what to do (which isn't all that complicated) than with
> resolving to
> actually do it.  The work-a-day world can can easily leave one feeling
> drained
> and thoroughly disinclined to take on as demanding a project as conducting
> proper job search.

"Take time to sharpen your saw"

I forgot who told me that, it was probably quoted from some management fluff
book, but it's true.  It's better to take a break from your routine and try
to optimise it, it will be beneficial in the long run, even if it means you
don't get as much work done that day.  And by optimise, it could just be
writing a program in Haskell to speed up some repetitive task, reorganising
your entire workload, or even looking for a new job.

I'm always quoting that to our Japanese colleagues because they seem to work
such long hours so inefficiently, and often give the "we don't have time"
excuse for not doing something.

> 2.  Make a short list NOW of places where you would like to be working in
> two
> years and establish communications with both the human resources
> department AND
> the department(s) that you would like to work for.

This link may help, if you can't think of enough places:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/career_and_jobs/best_100_companies/best_100_tables/