POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time : Re: Yes, that time Server Time
8 Sep 2024 13:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yes, that time
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 18 Jun 2008 05:18:31
Message: <4858d2e7$1@news.povray.org>

a9fg54l5btk1s87hemar5bm6ht4d3si961@4ax.com...

> Shakespeare is inappropriate for children, they cannot understand the
> language. Who amongst us understands the joke in Troilus and Cressida
> when someone asks where Ajax is and the answer is "Looking for
> himself" You need to know that Ajax sounds like "a jacksie" or an old
> fashioned name for a toilet. That is he was crapping himself.

Actually I think that's what makes it particularly suitable for children (or
at least young teenagers). The fact that the dirty jokes and innuendos have
to be explained to modern audiences - and some, like the "two backed beast",
don't really have to - does not make them less palatable. There's a healthy
dose of slapstick and crude humor in Shakespeare that makes it very
attractive to kids, provide you give them the keys of course.

G.