POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do you recognise any of these phrases? : Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 18 Jun 2008 05:01:38
Message: <4858cef2$1@news.povray.org>

48580d21@news.povray.org...
>  They don't realize that's exactly as silly as saying "we are miles ahead
> of our competitors", or in European, "we are kilometers ahead of our
> competitors". IMO that expression just isn't sensible with a measurement
> of distance.

For what it's worth the distance metaphor is commonly used in French. In
fact the original distance unit used in the expression is "lieue" (league),
so I guess it's a couple of centuries old at least, and "leagues away from"
or "leagues ahead" is also used in English. The metaphor has been updated to
light-years too but it's so common that there's nothing remarkable with it.

G.