POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do you recognise any of these phrases? : Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases?
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Jun 2008 04:25:38
Message: <4858c682$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Well, programs are usually developed to solve problems (such as, for
> example, make some tasks easier), so they really are solutions to those
> problems. (One could argue from a specific program if it's a *good*
> solution to the problem, but it can still be *a* solution nevertheless.)

Well, that depends...

Some programs are, in fact, designed to solve a specific problem.

Other programs are instead designed to make money. If anything, the
salesman has to invent a problem and make potential customers believe
they have this problem so that your program can "solve" it for them.

So while some programs really *are* solutions, others are actually
non-solutions to non-problems that probably end up making everybody's
job harder, rather than easier.

So I guess it just depends on how cynical you are. ;-)

Note that the term applies to other technologies too. "Hey, we have a
new traction solution!" What, you mean you've got some new tires?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/