POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time : Re: Yes, that time Server Time
8 Sep 2024 13:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yes, that time
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Jun 2008 04:15:14
Message: <4858c412$1@news.povray.org>
>> So why does everybody act surprised that I don't know certain rather
>> obscure facts?
>
> Because many of the facts you say you don't know really aren't very
> obscure, or if they are obscure, shouldn't be obscure in *your* culture.
> (Like, who RMS is. :-)

Meh. Who gets to decide what is or is not "obscure" anyway?

> Now, I'll grant that making movie references (like to the Wicked Witch),
> I discounted that you're in a foreign country and maybe they don't show
> that classic amazingly famous movie on TV every single year. But it *is*
> classic *and* amazingly famous.

And it is also a movie that I really, really hate.

>> People accuse me of being stupid, but I do realise there was a real
>> ship called the Titanic, that really did sink when it hit an iceberg.
>> As surely does most of the population?
>
> They'd say "Why should we? What makes you think we studied the same
> history bits you did?"

Studied? No. Heard vague references to it? You'd think so...

>> To me, not recognising the theme tune to the Wicked Witch of the West
>> just isn't on the same level as the two examples above.
>
> Actually, I suspect you'd recognise it if you heard it.

I did. [Not much of a "tune" though - no idea who you'd whistle that...]

>> Depends if the actors know what the hell they're performing or not. ;-)
>
> Well, true. This was a professionally-staged play, not a high-school
> performance or something. :-)

Even BBC Spakespeare productions shown on TV look cripplingly low-budget
and seem completely incomprehensible. [And I know the damned script!]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/