POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time : Re: Yes, that time Server Time
8 Sep 2024 11:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yes, that time
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Jun 2008 21:54:51
Message: <48586aeb@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> So why does everybody act surprised that I don't know certain rather
> obscure facts?

Because many of the facts you say you don't know really aren't very
obscure, or if they are obscure, shouldn't be obscure in *your* culture.
(Like, who RMS is. :-)

Now, I'll grant that making movie references (like to the Wicked Witch),
I discounted that you're in a foreign country and maybe they don't show
that classic amazingly famous movie on TV every single year. But it *is*
classic *and* amazingly famous.

> See, now I wouldn't even bother watching such a film, since clearly I
> won't understand any of it.

It's not that you won't understand it. It's perfectly comprehensible on
it's own. It's a *bonus* that you already know the characters from
something else.

It's like Stan Lee's cameo as a panhandler/beggar in Spider Man. It's
funnier if you know it's Stan Lee[1].  It's doubly funnier if you know
he didn't, due to contractual bits, get any royalties from the movie.

[1] Stan Lee - the guy who invented most of Marvel's comic book characters.

> People accuse me of being stupid, but I do realise there was a real ship
> called the Titanic, that really did sink when it hit an iceberg. As
> surely does most of the population?

They'd say "Why should we? What makes you think we studied the same
history bits you did?"

That's culture. You *hope* people studied a lot of the same sorts of
things you did.

> To me, not recognising the theme tune to the Wicked Witch of the West
> just isn't on the same level as the two examples above.

Actually, I suspect you'd recognise it if you heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iQjXPKfWNY

And now if you just saw that video without any context, you'd understand
the person's opinion of Hillary Clinton, see.

> Well let's see now. You could mean that they're just plain evil. Or
> misunderstood. Or an oppressed minority. Or just Jewish. Or any number
> of other possible meanings...

Uh, I think the point is to listen to the judge reprimand of Shylock's
behavior in order to understand what someone else would mean if they
called you a Shylock. Don'tcha think? :-)

> Depends if the actors know what the hell they're performing or not. ;-)

Well, true. This was a professionally-staged play, not a high-school
performance or something. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: