POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time : Re: Yes, that time Server Time
8 Sep 2024 07:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yes, that time
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Jun 2008 16:45:41
Message: <48582275@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> It strikes me that the thing about "culture" is that it is entirely
> dependent on who you hang out with.

Ummmm, yes?   <Darren> fighting the urge to say "Duh!" </Darren>

;-)

Seriously, that's kind of what culture *is*.  That's why people talk
about "Western culture" and "Pop culture" and "Asian culture" and so on.
The thing about reading "literature" is that lots of different cultures
(both in time and space) have read the same literature, so it gives you
  a common background with more people than "emo culture" or "star trek
culture."

For example, in the Jet Li / Jackie Chan movie that just came out, the
story is related to a major cultural story involving someone traveling
from China to India. I'd learned about it in school, as did my Chinese
wife, so we both knew the background of the characters and such, which
made it a more enjoyable movie.

> I played Shylock.

And you don't understand what it means to call someone a Shylock?

> Best thing about performing Shakespeare: If you make a mistake, nobody
> in the audience will ever know. They can't understand a word you're
> saying, AND THEY DON'T CARE ANYWAY. Really reduces the pressure! ;-)

Heh. Actually, I found Shakespeare to be *way* more interesting when
performed live than either reading it or seeing it as a movie. It's a
completely different experience.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: