POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time : Re: Yes, that time Server Time
8 Sep 2024 05:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yes, that time
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Jun 2008 16:30:21
Message: <48581edd$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> I doubt you can learn such things just from reading books though. More
>> like going out and actually talking to people...
>
> There's some of that invovled too, yes. ;-)

It strikes me that the thing about "culture" is that it is entirely
dependent on who you hang out with.

(Somebody around the POV-Ray server not knowing what the word "algebra"
means would get some fairly strange looks. Walk around on the street and
it's a different story. Now go read Questionable Content and try to
figure out some of the more obscure references. I just checked with an
emo kid I know who's dating an indie boy and *she* said it was obscure!)

>>> Sorry. You didn't.
>>
>> I didn't read any Shakespeare? Now what on earth makes you think that?
>
> Sorry.  You didn't say you hadn't read any Shakespeare. Erf.

Not only have I *read* several Shakespeare plays, as part of our
education we were forced to *perform* part of one. [Not Romeo & Juliet,
mercifully. It was a school for boys, after all...]

I played Shylock.

Best thing about performing Shakespeare: If you make a mistake, nobody
in the audience will ever know. They can't understand a word you're
saying, AND THEY DON'T CARE ANYWAY. Really reduces the pressure! ;-)

And next year, I happened to be visiting the school, and they told me
that Macbeth had just been expelled from the school. Guess who played
Macbeth's character that year?

And the year after that?

Jesus I'm a sap... :-S

>> Hell, I haven't heard of that latter one *now*! ;-)
>
> That's kind of my point. Look up West Side Story.

And I'm agreeing. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/