POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time : Re: Yes, that time Server Time
8 Sep 2024 03:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yes, that time
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Jun 2008 14:55:58
Message: <485808be$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Maybe I'm just strange, but I don't think it would matter what a
>>> person is whistling. The fact that they're whistling something would
>>> be more significant...
>>
>> It conveys their opinion.
>
> Surely it's more or less random and represents whatever happens to
> wander into their heads?

You know, I'm not sure I can explain it any better than I already have.
If someone says "Here comes with Wicked Witch" when they see your boss
walking towards them, that conveys an opinion of your boss. Whistling
the theme song (which, in the movie, plays every time the Wicked Witch
approaches) also conveys the same thought. But you wouldn't understand
either meaning without culture behind it.

>> If you haven't read any Shakespeare, how would you know?
> Who says I haven't read any Shakespeare?

Sorry. You didn't.

In any case, that's what it's supposed to do. If some time in your life,
someone tells you not to hire some particular lawyer because he's a real
shylock, you'll know what it means.

Of course, there are fewer references to Shakespeare and various operas
and such than there are to popular movies, but the movie references will
probably not outlive the Shakespeare references either.  I mean, what do
you hear more, "Romeo and Juliet" or "Tony and Maria"?

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: