POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mencoder question : Re: Mencoder question Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mencoder question
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 17 Jun 2008 12:29:15
Message: <4857e65b@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I was under the impression that Mencoder *is* a library...

	As already answered, it isn't.

>>     In any case:
>>
>> mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=25 -o output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>> vcodec=mpeg4
>>
>>     It shouldn't be too hard to go from there to mpeg1.
>
> [Except for the minor detail that you need to say vcodec=mpeg1video, not
> just vcodec=mpeg1. And you have to use a different container format.
>  From a different library.]

	BTW, just changing to vcodec=mpeg1video on my side works fine. It's in
an avi container format, but the codec is mpeg1.

> [Notice how every time somebody posts an Xvid or DivX or anything else
> to the POV-Ray servers, everybody complains they can't play it until
> somebody gets it transcoded back to MPEG-1?]

	Well, it's rarer than MPEG-1, obviously. I'd say you'd be hard pressed
to find many people who frequently do video conversions and can't play
either.

>>     I'd be curious to see if the same command you're giving will
>> produce a working avi file on my side...
>
>   mencoder mf://*.png -ovc raw -of avi -o Test.avi
>
> That's from memory anyway... I'll check when I get home.

	Works fine on my side. If you want, I can upload the result (of this
and the previous one) for you to check if it'll work on your computer.

	When you do it this way, the codec is *not* mpeg. With the files I had,
it reports a codec of YV12 - or rawyv12

--
"Once again, Mr. Cutlet fulfilled the sacred oath of the public
educator: To take an inherently fun activity, and sap it of every ounce

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl