POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time : Re: Yes, that time Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yes, that time
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Jun 2008 12:21:31
Message: <4857e48b$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I still can't figure out what good it's supposed to do.

I was like that for a long time.  Then I realized it's basically
learning all the social macros, if you will.

One can make a reference to a piece of literature, or some other social
or literary context, and invoke an entire background to what you're
saying.  Boss says "Time to go visit the customer," and coworker say
"Yep, back down the rabbit hole."   If you never heard of Alice in
Wonderland, you'd have no idea what that meant, or why your coworker
would say it. If you'd read your literature, you'd know your coworker is
calling your customer and their entire environment crazily surreal.

If you want a nerdier example, when friends (who I know will get the
reference) ask me how the weather is where I am, I've been known to
answer "It's very Windows 98 out."

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: