POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Q: explode.inc from Chris Colefax : Re: explode.inc from Chris Colefax Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: explode.inc from Chris Colefax
From: Chris B
Date: 17 Jun 2008 09:29:19
Message: <4857bc2f@news.povray.org>
"Reinhard" <rpr### [at] gmxnet> wrote in message
> Chris B wrote:
>> "Reinhard" <rpr### [at] gmxnet> wrote in message
>>> ... snip ... With particle_res I can manipulate the numbers of
>>> particles, can I? But is there an #declare with which I can manipulate
>>> the form of them?
>>>
>>> thank you,
>>> Reinhard
>>
>> The help file that comes with the #include file indicates that you can
>> specify the shape of the individual particles created by the Object
>> Exploder using the 'particle_object' identifier.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chris B.
>
> What kind of shape would you use to explode a planet, in my case the
> earth?

You're likely to need a lot of them over quite a number of frames if you're
animating it, so you'll probably be wanting something that renders very
quickly. That more or less rules out Isosurfaces. Though, if you're doing a
still frame rather than an animation, then you might want to throw in a
couple of extra isosurfaces close to the camera.

One option would be a craggy shaped mesh object which would render quite
quickly.

I've not tried it, but I would think it might also be worth trying just the
union of a cube and a sphere with a very rough pigment and a very rough (but
different) normal. If the sphere radius is somewhere between half the side
length and half the diagonal length of the cube you should get an outline
that is not too evidently spherical (particularly from a distance or if the
bits are moving quite fast). I'd recommend starting with a crackle pattern
for the normal and an agate pattern for the pigment using a range of browns
in the color_map, and see how that works.

Once you've got something in the general direction of what you're trying to
get you could post an image on povray.binaries.images, describing what you
find wrong with it. It can also be productive to provide a link to an image
out on the Internet if there's one that has features you'd like to emulate.

Regards,
Chris B.