POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time : Re: Yes, that time Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yes, that time
From: scott
Date: 17 Jun 2008 03:13:49
Message: <4857642d$1@news.povray.org>
>> I've heard of TV casualties from the wrist band snapping. LCDs and
>> Plasmas.
>> The glass on a CRT is usually strong enough to survive,

Yup, whereas the glass in an LCD is usually under 1mm thick - the polarisers
stop it shattering, but it still cracks easily and then it's useless.

>> I have to wonder what kind of force is necessary to get it to snap. It
>> seemed pretty secure the few times I've played.

Ditto.

> The strap on the earlier models was weaker than the current one. When the
> damage reports started trickling in, they redesigned it.

I really don't understand how they did not test such an obvious part before
starting production.  I mean surely, when designing it, they *must* have
asked themselves "ok, how strong does it need to be".  They could have
easily got some strong dude to swing something around extremely violently,
the multiplied the required strength by 2 or 3.  And even then, if something
went wrong when they started making the sample parts, you think it would
have shown up in their testing that they were snapping earlier than
expected.