POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mencoder question : Re: Mencoder question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:12:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mencoder question
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Jun 2008 04:08:22
Message: <48561f76$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'm curios... why is it so damned hard to do this??
>
>     Why do you think it's hard.

Why can't I just say -ovc mpeg1? Why do I have to say -ovc lacv
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video? That seems unecessarily complex.

Also, why is there *nowhere* in the manual that says "to produce a
standard MPEG-1 file, type XYZ"? Do you have any idea how freakin long
it took me to decode the manual to the point where I could construct
this commandline?

[E.g., nowhere is it actually documented that if you want to pass
*multiple* options to lavc, you have to seperate them with colons.
Eventually I noticed it in an example - an example demonstrating
something completely unrelated to syntax - and copied it. In general,
trying to figure out how the hell to make Mencoder do anything reduces
to endless trail and cryptic error...]

> Most of these things will be needed whatever software you use. I've
> noticed converting to MPEG1 or 2 is always a pain - I just use the avi
> format and a codec like xvid. The commandline is a bit short.

As far as I can tell, making Mencoder output any format is equally
difficult and error-prone. [I still can't get it to produce an
uncompressed AVI file that anything except MPlayer can comprehend.]
Adding a rare codec like XviD would just make matters worse...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/