POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mencoder question : Re: Mencoder question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mencoder question
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 15 Jun 2008 19:16:55
Message: <4855a2e7$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> mencoder mf://*.png -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=5000
> -ofps 12 -vf scale=720:576 -of lavf -lavfopts format=mpg -o out.mpg
>
> (As a nice bonus, since it's compressed it doesn't take up my entire
> harddrive! The bitrate shown seems to produce pretty good results.)
>
> I'm curios... why is it so damned hard to do this??

	Why do you think it's hard.

-ovc is needed to specify the codec. You'd need this for any general
purpose encoder.

-lavcopts specify the options for the lavc codec.

vcodec is to specify the format (they have mpeg2 if you want that instead).

vbitrate specifies the bitrate.

-ofps is the framerate - needed if you're not going to use the default.

-vf scale is because you wanted to scale.

-of is needed because it does avi by default. My mencoder has an mpeg
option - but you chose lavf...

Most of these things will be needed whatever software you use. I've
noticed converting to MPEG1 or 2 is always a pain - I just use the avi
format and a codec like xvid. The commandline is a bit short.

--
In an Astronomy class (toward an Astronomy major, not that gen-ed crap)
the professor did not tell us we would have to remember constants, and

One of them was: What is the orbital period of Saturn? (2 pts/100)

I started thinking about Bode's law and the posibility I could calculate
it from an approximate radius I would get from that law... if I could
remember it. But when you expect a 72% to be an A on a test, you have
bigger fish to fry.

Then I got it. It was right, it should work, and no one would have to be
nailed to anything.

I wrote: One Saturn-Year

I didn't get credit for it. A couple years later a sophomore was telling
me about this funny question he had in the same class. He showed it to
me. It read:

What is the orbital period of Saturn? (Do not put one Saturn-Year)

I was so right that it had to be guarded against. Yet those were 2
points I would never have.

(as told by SetupWeasel on Slashdot)

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl