POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mencoder question : Re: Mencoder question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:27:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mencoder question
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Jun 2008 16:47:02
Message: <48557fc6$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yes, but... does any program known to Man actually *play* MPEG-4?
>
>> I'd use AVI, except that the AVI files Mencoder produces won't play
>> properly.
>
>   You are confusing the AVI format, which is a *container* format, with
> a video format, which for example MPEG4 is.

OK, I rephrase: I'd use fully uncompressed AVI, but when I ask Mencoder
to do that, the result isn't playable with anything except MPlayer.

>   Most current players will play MPEG4 just fine if you have the proper
> codec installed, and a few will play it even if you don't (such as eg.
> vlcplayer).

OK, well if I ever see an MPEG4 file, I'll try it. ;-)

[I suppose I could ask Mencoder to make one - but then how would I know
if it's really an MPEG4 file?]

>> MPEG-1 may be old and stuff, but it _works_ everywhere.
>
>   At the cost of looking like crap or being humongous.

Well size isn't too much of an issue for me. Besides, the final image
will be encoded with MPEG-2 anyway.

[Although actually... Mencoder is doing something strange at me. No
matter how high I turn up the bitrate, the colours look a tad blocky for
no apparent reason...]

>>>   mencoder is a tool from hackers to hackers.
>
>> *sigh* Yes, from reading the "documentation" you do get that
>> impression... :-(
>
>   I see nothing wrong with the documentation. You just have to learn to
> read it.

You realise I've spent several *hours* today reading it trying to find
the information I want, right?

>> Personally I think Virtual Dub is a fine tool, but I'm looking for
>> something that can *programatically* build and play animations.
>
>   I don't understand what you mean by that.

Virtual Dub is nice, but you can only control it using a mouse. I want
something I can control from the program I wrote.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/