POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Chrome-like extruded object... : Re: Chrome-like extruded object... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chrome-like extruded object...
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 15 Jun 2008 16:14:53
Message: <4855783d$1@news.povray.org>
this is me wrote:

> over to see what the side surfaces looked like, things wheren't so good - it
> wasn't mirror-like.  I guess I was seeing all the triangles that made up the
> height field.

The sides should have been reflecting as well. I suppose your
problem is that you'd like to have smooth sides, but, of course,
that is limited by the pixel resolution of the input image. So
you can try to paint the input PNG in higher resolution (and
use the smooth keyword if you didn't already do so), or define
some 2D coordinates for the contour and use a "prism" object
based on a spline instead of the height_field. In the latter
case you get a solid object instead of the contour but that
is easily fixed by diffencing away a slightly smaller copy.