POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mencoder question : Re: Mencoder question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mencoder question
From: Warp
Date: 15 Jun 2008 16:03:35
Message: <48557597@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:

> >   Nowadays you might want to use mpeg4 instead of mpeg1. The former can
> > compress to less than one fourth the size of the latter, while retaining
> > the same image quality (or even better).
> >
> >   mpeg1 is just old and obsolete nowadays.

> Yes, but... does any program known to Man actually *play* MPEG-4?

> I'd use AVI, except that the AVI files Mencoder produces won't play
> properly.

  You are confusing the AVI format, which is a *container* format, with
a video format, which for example MPEG4 is.

  AVI doesn't specify the format of the video. You can have an MPEG4 video
inside an AVI file just fine.

  Most current players will play MPEG4 just fine if you have the proper
codec installed, and a few will play it even if you don't (such as eg.
vlcplayer).

> MPEG-1 may be old and stuff, but it _works_ everywhere.

  At the cost of looking like crap or being humongous.

> >> I'm curios... why is it so damned hard to do this??
> >
> >   mencoder is a tool from hackers to hackers.

> *sigh* Yes, from reading the "documentation" you do get that
> impression... :-(

  I see nothing wrong with the documentation. You just have to learn to
read it.

> Personally I think Virtual Dub is a fine tool, but I'm looking for
> something that can *programatically* build and play animations.

  I don't understand what you mean by that.

--
                                                          - Warp