POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mencoder question : Re: Mencoder question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mencoder question
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Jun 2008 15:25:39
Message: <48556cb3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Nowadays you might want to use mpeg4 instead of mpeg1. The former can
> compress to less than one fourth the size of the latter, while retaining
> the same image quality (or even better).
>
>   mpeg1 is just old and obsolete nowadays.

Yes, but... does any program known to Man actually *play* MPEG-4?

I'd use AVI, except that the AVI files Mencoder produces won't play
properly. MPEG-1 may be old and stuff, but it _works_ everywhere. (Also,
sometimes large AVI files won't play properly because my HD isn't fast
enough. MPEG easily fixes this.)

>> I'm curios... why is it so damned hard to do this??
>
>   mencoder is a tool from hackers to hackers.

*sigh* Yes, from reading the "documentation" you do get that
impression... :-(

Personally I think Virtual Dub is a fine tool, but I'm looking for
something that can *programatically* build and play animations.
Mencoder/MPlayer can do this - although it seems to be horribly
difficult to get right. (E.g., I just discovered that the filename used
for the output file can actually affect the transcoding process - WTF?)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/