POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting comment about jury/judge stuff... : Re: Interesting comment about jury/judge stuff... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting comment about jury/judge stuff...
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Jun 2008 13:52:00
Message: <485556c0$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
> certain categories of evidence and testimony may not be presented in court.

Well, that's true. There are supposed to be certain things you can't
tell. Like, the defendant has already been convicted of other crimes -
that isn't evidence that she did *this* crime.  Or the evidence the
police obtained illegally, which should discourage police from obtaining
evidence illegally.

On the other hand, I read about people going to jail for having
prescription medicine for which the doctor gave them a prescription,
except they weren't allowed to tell the jury he had a prescription.  Me,
I would have stood up in the middle of the trial and just said "My
doctor prescribed these pills. That's why I have them." And let the
judge try to lock me up for talking out of turn. :-)  [I think I heard
they won on appeal, with the higher judge calling it ridiculous, but you
still wind up spending time.]

So, yeah, there has to be some reasonableness going on. If the President
isn't going to obey the laws Congress passes, your country is pretty
f'ed to start with. Same with the courts.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: