POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ACID databases : Re: ACID databases Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ACID databases
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Jun 2008 12:52:19
Message: <4853f743@news.povray.org>
>> Maybe because - you know - the old database technologies are already
>> well-understood?
>
> I think it's more that they're already well-approved. :-)

Isn't that why nobody uses functional programming? Because it's not yet
well-approved?

> Yep. Except there, it actually has practical implications. Lots of
> people have binary Intel software they need to run. If you're moving to
> a non-relational database, enforcing the ACID properties aren't
> necessarily an important thing.
>
> For example, is it actually important that every search on the same
> keywords on Google invariable return the same result? Is it OK to update
> the UK indecies an hour later than the US indecies when new web pages
> show up?

On the other hand, if Google's entire database vanished... would they
care? I mean, in a day or two they can re-index all the pages and
they'll have their data back. They won't have all the old cached data,
but it's not exactly catastrophic.

Seems to me Google doesn't need a "database" at all... they just need a
reasonably reliably large-scale storage system that supports very fast
indexing.

> Clearly, this isn't appropriate for (say) a bank's ATM network. But
> there are lots of applications where nothing bad happens if there's
> temporary inconsistency.

...which is why there's all those different isolation levels and stuff.

>> It would be a damned site *simpler* for it to not try to do all this
>> emulation. In fact, it would be a lot more *efficient* too. But
>> where's the market in that?
>
> Yeah. Some of the chips were actually RISC chips basically interpreting
> x86 machine code, is my undertanding.

My understanding is that current mainstream CPUs are some weird
RISC/CISC hybrid that's so complicated that it's difficult to know
*what* to call it! o_O

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/