POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ACID databases : Re: ACID databases Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ACID databases
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Jun 2008 12:13:45
Message: <4853ee39$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> I must admit I have to giggle and shake my head at how many people doing
> work on new database technologies try really hard to make it sound like
> old database technologies only better.

Maybe because - you know - the old database technologies are already
well-understood?

Have you notied how Intel keep designing these new-fangled
super-mega-huper chips... and making them binary-compatible with an
ancient non-RISC design from, what, 20 years ago? I mean, a modem Intel
Core 2 Duo or something is performing all this out-of-order execution,
yet it still goes to extreme lengths to enumate a completely sequential
machine with no pipelining.

It would be a damned site *simpler* for it to not try to do all this
emulation. In fact, it would be a lot more *efficient* too. But where's
the market in that?

> It just cracks me up that nobody is willing to say "Yes, we don't have
> ACID, and that's a *good* thing sometimes."

Yes, because everybody loves having the ability to make things
unreliable and unpredictable...?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/