POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ACID databases : ACID databases Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  ACID databases
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Jun 2008 17:00:42
Message: <4852dffa$1@news.povray.org>
I must admit I have to giggle and shake my head at how many people doing
work on new database technologies try really hard to make it sound like
old database technologies only better.

Everyone is ACID, even if you have to interpret the "C" in ACID as
meaning "we don't corrupt the file system if we crash", even tho that's
implied by the A and D.

The Erlang database is an "enhanced relational model", even tho it's not
relational in any sense. You can have denormalized records,
variable-sized objects of varying types in each column, and multiple
records with the same primary key in the same table. You also don't have
any, you know, relationships(*). As in, there's no join operator. If you
want to know what departments the employee is in, you either put a list
of departments in the employee record, or manually maintain a second
table relating employees to departments.

It just cracks me up that nobody is willing to say "Yes, we don't have
ACID, and that's a *good* thing sometimes."

(*) Yes, I know "relation" doesn't mean "join", thanks.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: