POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microphones : Re: Microphones Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:13:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microphones
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Jun 2008 14:02:23
Message: <4852b62f$1@news.povray.org>
>> (Also curios is the fact that the car doesn't accelerate when you
>> drive it down a hill... You'd think it would.)
>
> Press the clutch and start off at 5mph so as to avoid any air drag.  It
> should accelerate then.

Oh, it *does* accelerate... just... not very much. I mean, if you point
a *bicycle* downhill, it takes off like a rocket. And it doesn't even
weigh much! But a much heaveir car... doesn't seem to pick up speed very
much.

>> I would think this electric motor trickery probably also saves fuel on
>> low-speed manovers like trying to park. [Think how much you have to
>> rev the engine to make a car move that slowly...]
>
> Ermm, my car moves just by lifting the clutch gently, no need to rev at
> all.

Is your car diesel by any chance?

>> ...OK, so maybe it wasn't exactly 10^(-6). But it worked out to be
>> some absurdly small figure anyway.
>
> IIRC you meant that amount per revolution of the engine, not per minute!

Right. So given that there's roughly 10^3 revolutions per minute, that
would be about 10^(-3) L per minute. ;-)

>> I've always wanted to know... An engine is a mechanical device. So why
>> does temperature have any effect on anything?
>
> Things expand with temperature, an engine is designed to run smoothly at
> it's operating temperature, below that there is a lot more friction.

Ah, I see. That would make sense...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/