POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microphones : Re: Microphones Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microphones
From: m a r c
Date: 12 Jun 2008 07:51:34
Message: <48510dc6$1@news.povray.org>

4850ff36$1@news.povray.org...
>>> Actually I'm pretty sure my PC microphone is a crystal mic...
>
>> UH? do they still sell that? Usually they are electrets
>
> Sure - why not? They sell crystal ear pieces too - very useful with
> home-made crystal radio sets. And let's not forget, picture speakers use
> crystals too...
The frequency response of crystal microphones is often limited to a
relatively narrow band . They boost treeble and have poor basses.
It may be good for a close-miking of voice to enhance speach recognition but
they are far from all-purpose applications.

>> It means a moving coil microphone, no need for power
>
> Right. So a reverse speaker then?

Exactly but not optimized for that use :-)

> OK. So assuming it really is electret, I can't measure its impedence
> meaningfully.
>
> I'm 70% sure this is the guy BTW:
>
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=24698&doy=12m6#spec

The *stereo* (the exact name is TRS for Tip/Rim/Sleeve) jack for a mono
microphone makes me suspect it is an elecret.
The rim is for power +.

Marc