POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microphones : Re: Microphones Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microphones
From: m a r c
Date: 12 Jun 2008 06:39:37
Message: <4850fce9@news.povray.org>

4850f855@news.povray.org...
> Actually I'm pretty sure my PC microphone is a crystal mic...
UH? do they still sell that? Usually they are electrets

> [The microphone that works is marked as "dynamic", whatever that means.]

It means a moving coil microphone, no need for power

> I had a go with my dad's test meter. At 0 Hz, the working mic has a
> resistence of about 600 ?, whereas the non-working one is about 1.2 k?. I
> don't know whether that has anything to do with anything. [I don't have
> the specifications for my outboard sound card to hand...]
For the dynamic microphone you measure the DC resistance of the coil .
Electret microphone are buffered by a FET and insulated from DC by a
capacitor.
You can't measure a useable impedence at 0 Hz :-)
maybe you measured between rim (power +) and sleeve (ground)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electret_microphone

Marc