POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Write my own review - WTF?!? : Re: Write my own review - WTF?!? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:26:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Write my own review - WTF?!?
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Jun 2008 12:35:52
Message: <484ffee8$1@news.povray.org>
Kyle wrote:
> He wants me to write my formal evaluation and he will then modify/append to it.  Ok,
WTF?!?

Welcome to Dilbert-land! I suggest finding the comic series that
discusses this, and attaching it to the review. :-)

> Would I be wrong in telling him to shove it?

Me, I'd ask for clarifications:

"You know, I'm not a manager. What sort of thing would you put in my
review if you were writing it?"

Then, when he can't or won't answer, write up your own review as if
you're God Incarnate.  "Saved 8.3 million dollars last year, and 7.9
million the year before. Created four new product lines, with 83
patents. Is seriously underpaid, and deserves a 3x raise. Occasionally
performs boss's job, when boss fails to meet the requirements and
expectations of his own position."

Optionally, when he argues, ask him why he didn't tell you what he
wanted before you spent all the time writing it up, and since he clearly
knows better than you do, it should be his job. ;-)

If you wanted to be serious about it, ask him why after seven years he
suddenly wants a review. If it's merely because you asked for it, point
out that you already know how to review yourself, and its the boss
reviewing you that's of value. I.e., you don't want a review as such,
you want the boss's clarification of what he thinks you should do more
and what he thinks you should do less; you're already doing what you
think the boss wants. If it's because he talked to HR and suddenly
*they* have a bug up their ___, then it's a different question. In that
case, definitely do not put anything the least bit self-critical in your
review, lest they be building a case to fire you or something.  (Not
sure what country you're in, w.r.t. employment laws.)

Why *do* you want a formal review?

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: