POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Randomly-generated "Finnish" text : Re: Randomly-generated "Finnish" text Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Randomly-generated "Finnish" text
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jun 2008 07:47:55
Message: <484fbb6b$1@news.povray.org>
>> Could that be because many of us are native English speakers and
>> therefore understand the subtleties of the Eng. Lang. more intuitively?
>> BTW Not meant offensively
>
> What it more likely means is that native speakers, being exposed to more
> usages of the word, are consequently more exposed to incorrect uses.
>
> A foreign speaker is more likely to know only the dictionary definition.

Define "correct" and we'll continue. ;-)

Seriously - do you have any idea how many "English" words are actually
misused or misheard words from other languages? The same probably goes
for most languages of the world - except those belonging to remote tribes.

So just who exactly defines what is the "correct" meaning of a word? And
if it isn't the native speakers of the language that word belongs to,
then who the hell is it??

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/