POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Lets Get Some Clarity About Graphics cards : Re: Lets Get Some Clarity About Graphics cards Server Time
3 May 2024 10:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lets Get Some Clarity About Graphics cards
From: Warp
Date: 9 Jun 2008 04:51:21
Message: <484cef08@news.povray.org>
Captron <439087*@gmail.com (remove *)> wrote:
> I don?t want to spend big dollars on a video card but do want to optimize my
> ?bang for the buck?. Graphics card features have zoomed of late, with Quadro
> and 128bit available now, but what is the best bet? Is it worth it?

  Graphics cards are used for games. They are mostly useless for rendering
and CAD design. (Even if the CAD program does use hardware acceleration,
most CAD programs still keep the visuals so simple that even older cards
will suffice.)

  You might get *some* speed benefit in the smoothness of CAD previews, but
I doubt it's really worth all that money.

  Now, if you also play games, that's a different story completely.

--
                                                          - Warp