POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Round Manholes : Re: Round Manholes Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:12:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Round Manholes
From: somebody
Date: 8 Jun 2008 14:09:18
Message: <484c204e$1@news.povray.org>
news:484bfade@news.povray.org...
> somebody wrote:

> > typically is no good reason (ask not why is X, but why is not not X) to
make
> > manhole covers non-cylindrical, most are cylindrical. Hence the holes.

> Errr, no. Indeed, if you actually look, most manholes on the *sidewalk*
> are not round. And even small "manholes" like for meters and such, as
> big as your spread hand, are round when they're in the street.
>
> Chances are you won't just guess unless you've actually ever seen the
> outside of a manhole.
>
> Given the hint that they're all round in the street and they're not
> round on the sidewalk... any more takers?

That's not a given by a long shot. Manholes here and all places I've seen
are round in the sidewalk too. The city isn't going to maintain two
different types of manholes unless there's a good reason (the sidewalk ones
might be thinner, I naturally did not inspect carefully). The large
rectangular ones you see on sidewalks on cities are not manholes but grills.
There are also rectangular storm drains (some are even formed into an S
shape between the road and the sidewalk for accessibility). However, neither
grills nor storm drains are meant for a "man" to go through a "hole", so are
not manholes, nor are the holes in the ground for meters that you mention.