POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Round Manholes : Re: Round Manholes Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Round Manholes
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 8 Jun 2008 12:29:49
Message: <484c08fd$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Given the hint that they're all round in the street and they're not
> round on the sidewalk... any more takers?

I can't actually agree on this, but it can depend on the country etc, so
that doesn't matter. There's 2 reasons:
1) No corners -> no tire fatalities.
2) Harder pressure on ground surface (there can be tonnes of masses on
one axle on the street) -> harder construction (cylindrical shape is
better to handle pressure from outside).

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net