POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Round Manholes : Re: Round Manholes Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Round Manholes
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Jun 2008 11:29:34
Message: <484bfade@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> typically is no good reason (ask not why is X, but why is not not X) to make
> manhole covers non-cylindrical, most are cylindrical. Hence the holes.

Errr, no. Indeed, if you actually look, most manholes on the *sidewalk*
are not round. And even small "manholes" like for meters and such, as
big as your spread hand, are round when they're in the street.

Chances are you won't just guess unless you've actually ever seen the
outside of a manhole.

Given the hint that they're all round in the street and they're not
round on the sidewalk... any more takers?

(As for the "so it won't fall in the hole" bit, people invented hinges
long before they invented manholes.)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"