POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint : Re: Wow... how quaint Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wow... how quaint
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jun 2008 18:19:30
Message: <484b0972@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> The point being, they made a very simple and basic security mistake.

They used the same hash UNIX was using at the time. It only became a
security mistake later, when they needed to keep backward compatibility
with it.

> they had used an established standard rather than trying to invent a
> wheel from scratch themselves, this wouldn't have happened.

Even had they used DES, it wouldn't have helped, the way they hashed
longer passwords. The problem is they started with short passwords, just
like everyone else in the world at the time.

> Not the first time either. The world uses DNS, M$ invents WINS. What was
> THAT about??

Because DNS didn't have real-time dynamic updates when WINS was
invented. Hence, you basically couldn't combine DHCP with DNS, so MS
made WINS. Plus, since people could assign their own names, they needed
a way to make them unique. Plus, DNS is tied to TCP/IP, and WINS isn't.

In other words, no, at the time, the world did *not* use DNS. Not until
about 10 years later was enough of the world off of LAN-specific
protocols (like NetBIOS, IPX, DecNET, Novell's things, etc) that you
could afford to ignore every form of networking except IP.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"