POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint : Re: Wow... how quaint Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wow... how quaint
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 7 Jun 2008 05:30:40
Message: <484a5540$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> Quantity discount.  My DSL line is provided by Covad, even though the
> telco to the house is Qwest.  My DSL service is actually cheaper than
> Qwest's DSL service.
>
> Makes perfect sense to shop around.

Now, see, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

That's like those telephone providers where you dail a special prefix
and then the number you actually want to call. They direct your call
from the UK, across the Atlantic to the USA, route the call, and direct
it back to the UK, and *this* works out cheaper than BT? WTF?!? o_O

Similarly, when I looked into this, several places online could sell me
an Apple Mac. It turns out the most expensive place to buy one is...
from Apple. WHAT?? It's more expensive to buy it from the manufacturer
than from some middle-man who has a whole bunch of extra costs and
overheads to cover?

Reality doesn't make sense to me...

Anyway, you get your DSL cheaper, but what if it breaks? If it's
actually a Qwest DSL line, presumably only Qwest can actually fix it if
it breaks. And that means that if it breaks, you have to spend 3 hours
on the phone to Covad to convince them that it's broken, and then they
have to spend 3 hours on the phone to Qwest, and then *maybe* somebody
will fix it?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/