POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint : Re: Wow... how quaint Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wow... how quaint
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Jun 2008 19:32:04
Message: <4849c8f4$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 20:03:03 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>> CompuServe also charged a flat rate ($19.95/month IIRC) plus a
>> surcharge for per-minute access to some services.  Then there were
>> add-on services that you could purchase as well.
>>
>> It was almost as convoluted as picking a cell phone plan these days.
>
> Yeah - make it complex so the user can't tell how badly they're being
> screwed! ;-)

Exactly.

> BTW... apparently some cell phones these days can actually access the
> Internet. (So I'm told anyway.)

Like this one:  http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/device-detail.jsp?
navId=H0,C63,P65

(That's what I've got)

I believe we pay about $120/month for service (including unlimited data
service, international calling, and roaming.  I don't know how much we
paid for the e-mail gateway software.

Once upon a time (before upgrading the OS), I actually was able to ssh
from my phone to my home desktop.  With the OS upgrade, something broke
and it doesn't work now.  You think the web on a small screen is fun, you
should try ssh sometime. ;-)

Jim