POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint : Re: Wow... how quaint Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:13:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wow... how quaint
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 6 Jun 2008 17:29:50
Message: <4849ac4e$1@news.povray.org>
>> Thrice.
>
>   Oh, my. ;)

Yeah, I know.

I started off with a GeForce 6600. Playing CSS with HDRL made it weep in
agony. So I replaced it with something a bit more... meaty. [Back when I
built the PC, I didn't ever play games. I only got a 3D card at all to
see what HalfLife would look like with filtered texturing...]

I also started off with a single-core CPU. A later replaced this with a
dual-core one. (Irritatingly, this required a BIOS update!)

>   The PowerMac line has always been quite configurable and extendable.
> Heck, it's even 10 times easier to open than a PC. With the typical PC
> you need a screwdriver, and accessing the things inside is not the easiest
> possible task. With a typical PowerMac you press a button, open the
> computer and everything is nicely laid out there. (Well, at least this
> was so in the past.)

Mmm. Computers certainly very on how easy it is to access internal
components. My mum's first PC? When I opened the case, I couldn't even
*see* the motherboard! There was the PSU, the HD, the CD-ROM, and the
cables for those. After that, there was barely space to fit a hand in!

>>>   That doesn't make even the least bit of sense. Are you saying that if
>>> you buy a second computer, you have to throw away the first one? Why?
>>> How does that make any sense?
>
>> My bedroom has finite volume? (Not to mention power supplies. And space
>> for a keyboard, mouse and monitor...)
>
>   Switches exist. They aren't even expensive.

Still doesn't solve the volume problem.

>>>   Like what?
>
>> I'm just saying, the quantity of software I can find for a Mac has to be
>> large enough that it's worth turning the thing on at least occasionally.
>
>   What kind of software? I bet you don't spend thousands of pounds in
> software, so that must be free software? What kind of free software?
> What is it that you do that requires Windows-only software?

Instruments stuff, various bits of expensive hardware that may or may
not work without Windoze.

>> I guess I could just use the Mac as a rendering machine - but then, if
>> you want a Mac with serious CPU power, it gets *frighteningly*
>> expensive. So that's not really gonna work.
>
>   There we go again.

OK, so I go to the Apple website, click on the Mac Pro, and it

The machine I'm using right now, the one that was built using the best

a bloody big difference! ;-)

>> think that has Mac drivers.
>
>   Probably not, because MacOS X probably supports it out of the box.

Maybe. If I'm not using the Mac for serious sound work anyway, I guess
it doesn't matter either way.

>>>   Right, no other linux user ever changes their hardware and thus
>>> avoids all problems, which is why linux is never fixed. You are the
>>> only person in the world to do that.
>
>> Linux is an OS "designed by experts, for experts". I am not an expert.
>
>   How does that counter my sarcasm? I think it's still valid.

My *point* is that "other Linux users" are Linux experts. I'm not.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/